Upgrade Steps for Commence Workgroups
In a Commence RM version 6.0, 6.1, or 7.0 workgroup, the server and all clients must be running the same version. The steps in this article are a guide to ensure that the existing workgroup is taken offline in an orderly manner and that no loss of data occurs during the process. These instructions refer to topics in the Commence Server Guide (svrguide.pdf) which is installed with the program.
Upon opening the server database, Commence will determine if the database can be converted. The conversion process will first backup the database, then convert it to the new format. Commence clients may continue to use their local executable and DLL files, and will be able to open their client databases. However, synchronization will be disabled until the client is upgraded to the same version and format as the server.
Please follow these topics as referenced in the Commence Server Guide. Page numbers below assume you are viewing the server PDF online.
WORKGROUP CLEANUP & PREP – Process or remove all pending client sync files
After the data is converted, the server will no longer be able to process sync files from a prior version of Commence. To prepare for this, sync up any pending changes from each client. If a client is not easily accessible to sync, then determine that client ID and clear any up or dwn files from the sync directory for that client. See the topics below for more detail.
- “Sync All Clients with the Server” on page 15
- “Disable Synching at the Client Workstation(s)” on page 16
- “Clear the sync directory” on page 15
SERVER UPDATE: Backup your Commence server and install the updates here first
- “Backup All Shared Databases at the Commence Server” on page 16
- “Shut Down the Commence Server” on page 16
- “Run ComAdmin” on page 16
- “Upgrade the Commence Server” on page 16
- “License Administration and Activation” on page 17
- (optional) “Install Workgroup Expert” on page 17
- “Run ComAdmin” on page 17 [This is a critical step. The server administration files (wgfiles) are converted at this time]
- “Launch the Commence Server” on page 17
CLIENT UPDATES: Backup each client and try to install the update within a few days of the server
- “Backup every Client Database” on page 16
- Verify Client Databases are up to date with Outlook Synchronization, if using.
- “Upgrade Client Workstations” on page 17
- Commence RM 7.0
- Commence RM 6.1
- Commence RM 6.0